Fail to plan, plan to fail.
As you must have guessed it, this post is about planning your way to the top! If you really want to be on top of your game and make short films that you are proud off then you must plan, plan and plan.
Just like with everything in life if you don’t plan properly then you most probably won’t get the right results, then why neglect planning for your filming sessions?!
Firstly you have to be passionate about the idea, immerse yourself into it and find out as much as you can. Do a front to back analysis visually or just by scribbling on paper. This is a very important part of the of filming process, without which a beautiful idea would just crumble away.
The few steps I take to plan and immerse myself into an idea are as follows;
- Google all words and phrases associated with my idea (Web links, Images, mainly YouTube videos).
- Discuss with closest friends / film makers and get their feedback on the idea.
- Start writing the storyline (Very rough).
- Visualise the written storyline.
- Plan out the logistics (team, location, cast, filming timeline, editing timeline and most importantly budget).
These steps might not be for you but should give you a good foundation to make your idea a reality.
Remember to be free and fly without boundaries, as a film maker you visualise ideas which come out straight from your thoughts and feelings. They are special.
Godspeed on your exciting filming journey!